21 | Media and Communications Graduate | Melbourne, Australia

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

H&M takes Australia (05/04/2014)



Shown above is my shopping list for H&M Australia. I compiled this list prior to the opening in hopes that it would give me some sort of direction amongst the expected chaos. However, 5 days in and I still have not stepped foot in the store. Queuing in line, battling others for sizes, browsing through messy racks- the whole experience just screams disaster to me. 

This is perhaps due to the fact that I have shopped in H&M before and the curiosity just isn't strong enough. With that being said, I understand the hype and excitement. It can be summed up in 3 words, Australians. are. deprived. - making us the ideal target market for these international retailers. Think back to the introduction of Zara, Topshop and now H&M. We become fashion hungry leeches because our own national market cannot give us what we need. Over the years, consumers have become conditioned to premium prices, slow stock turnover and restricted shopping hours. It is quite crazy to think that these changes are only happening now.

Rant aside, I will keep you guys posted once I actually build up the courage to tackle the crowds. 

That's it from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment